Connect with us

Headlines

More Headlines

News

More News

Politics

More Politics

Entertainment

More Entertainment

Business

More Business

Sports

More Sports

More News

  • News World
    Donald Trump reveals why he loves Nicki Minaj

     

    United States President Donald Trump has expressed admiration for American rapper Onika Tanya Maraj-Petty, popularly known as Nicki Minaj, calling her “so beautiful.”

    Speaking at a Black History Month event in Washington, the 79-year-old president praised the 43-year-old rapper’s appearance in remarks that quickly went viral online.

    In a video from the event, Trump said: “How about Nicki Minaj? Do we love Nicki Minaj? I love Nicki Minaj. She was here a couple of weeks ago. She’s so beautiful, her skin’s so beautiful. I said, ‘Nicki, you’re so beautiful.’ Her nails are so long.”

    He also shared a playful exchange with Minaj during her recent visit: “I asked Nicki, are they real? She didn’t want to answer, but she was so beautiful and so great. And she gets it, more importantly.”

    Trump revealed that he first noticed Minaj during her recent visits to the White House.

    The remarks came shortly after Minaj celebrated Presidents’ Day by sharing photos on her X account highlighting her rapport with the president, captioned: “Happy President’s Day.”

    Reports indicate that Minaj also attended the Trump-backed World Liberty Forum on Wednesday, participating as a keynote speaker on a panel titled “Owning the Culture: The Business of Music in a Creator-Led Economy.”

    She had previously met Trump in January at the Trump Accounts Summit in Washington, D.C., where she referred to herself as the “president’s No. 1 fan.”



  • News
    Many feared dead as suspected Lakurawa militants attack Kebbi communities

     

    Dozens of people are feared dead following attacks by suspected Lakurawa militants on several rural communities in Arewa Local Government Area on Wednesday.

    Local and security sources reported that the gunmen stormed villages in the remote border district, firing indiscriminately at residents in what survivors described as highly coordinated assaults.

    Security breakdowns indicate that 16 people were killed in Mamunu, five in Awashaka, three in Masama, and two in each of five other affected villages.

    The assaults sparked widespread panic, forcing many residents to flee as the attackers set homes ablaze and fired at civilians.

    Security forces have been deployed to stabilize the area, support survivors, and prevent the assailants from escaping, with ongoing tracking operations in place.

    Kebbi State Police Public Relations Officer, Bashir Usman, confirmed the incident and said further details would be released as investigations continue.


  • Crime News
    SunTrust Bank MD asks court for permission to travel abroad over pregnancy complications

     

    Halima Buba, the Managing Director (MD) of SunTrust Bank Ltd, on Thursday asked the Federal High Court in Abuja to grant her permission to travel to the United States (US) for medical treatment linked to pregnancy complications.

    Buba, who is facing a six-count charge bordering on money laundering, made the request through her counsel, Johnson Usman, SAN, before Justice Emeka Nwite.

    PlatinumPost reports that the bank MD, along with the Executive Director/Chief Compliance Officer, Innocent Mbagwu, is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over an alleged 12 million dollar fraud.

    They were arraigned on July 13, 2025, and granted bail of N100 million each with one surety in the same amount.

    Justice Nwite also directed that their international passports be deposited with the court registry.

    However, Buba, who was present in court on Thursday, filed a motion on notice dated Feb. 2 and filed Feb. 3, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/180/2025, through her lawyer, seeking three orders.

    She requested an order varying the bail conditions granted to her on June 13, 2025.

    She also asked the court to release her international passport to enable her travel outside Nigeria for medical treatment and follow-up care.

    In addition, Buba sought an order directing the chief or deputy chief registrar to temporarily release her travel documents for the proposed trip.

    Providing seven reasons for the request, she stated that since being admitted to bail, she had complied fully with the conditions and attended all court sittings.

    The MD explained that she required the court’s approval to travel abroad for urgent medical treatment and would complete the treatment and return the passport before the next adjourned date.

    In an affidavit supporting the motion, Buba said she planned to travel on Feb. 15 and return before the end of the month.

    “That I am pregnant and the pregnancy has some complications that requires an expert in the field.

    “That I registered my ante-natal medicals with Deda Hospital, Jahi Abuja.

    “”That upon being examined by the Chief Medical Officer of Deda, there is a discovery of some complications and referred my medical situation to Bridge Clinics, Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist at Indiana University Health, Carmel, Indiana, United States of America,” she said.

    She added that she had been scheduled for urgent treatment in the United States.

    According to her, I am ready and willing to be in court on any date this honourable court deems appropriate to adjourn the charge for continuation of hearing having regards to this application.

    Buba, who pledged to return to the country after the treatment, said she would not jump bail if the application is granted.

    She, therefore, urged the court to approve her request in the interest of justice.

    However, the EFCC’s counsel, Ogechi Ujam, strongly opposed the application after Buba’s lawyer moved the motion.

    Ujam told the court that a counter affidavit had been filed on Feb. 3, asking the court to dismiss the request.

    She argued that the depositions made by Buba were false, speculative and misleading.

    The lawyer submitted that, contrary to Paragraph 10 of Buba’s affidavit, the proposed travel date had already been overtaken by events.

    She also said that, contrary to the MD’s claim in Exhibit B, which she described as a medical report, the consultant did not state any inability to treat her.

    Ujam argued that Buba had not submitted herself for treatment at the hospital listed in Exhibit C and that the facility could not have confirmed her medical status to justify the recommendation to travel abroad.

    She further argued that nothing in the application showed that Nigerian doctors or the country’s healthcare system were incapable of managing her pregnancy or other medical needs.

    According to her, the bank MD did not explore available local healthcare options and no Nigerian doctor or hospital had advised her to seek treatment abroad.

    She added that there was no evidence of a scheduled medical appointment for Buba at the proposed foreign hospital.

    Ujam told the court that she had been informed by Mr Ahmad Yahaya, one of the EFCC’s medical doctors, and believed that Buba could be effectively treated in Nigeria.

    She reminded the court that the trial had already progressed, with the prosecution calling three witnesses who gave serious incriminating evidence against Buba.

    The lawyer said the offences were serious, involving alleged money laundering, and that the stage of the trial created a strong incentive for the defendant to evade proceedings.

    “That it is a fact in the public space that it has become a trend that in criminal high profile cases, defendants always bring up medical reasons to travel outside the country to avoid standing trial,” she said.

    Ujam maintained that Buba had not provided any material showing that her medical condition could not be treated in Nigeria.

    She urged the court to refuse the application.

    After hearing the arguments from both sides, Justice Nwite adjourned the matter until March 4 for ruling.


  • Crime News
    Troops eliminate Boko Haram commander, arrest suspected drone supplier in Adamawa

     

    Troops of Operation Hadin Kai, in collaboration with local vigilantes and hunters, have killed a senior Boko Haram commander and arrested a suspected drone and logistics supplier during separate but related operations in Madagali Local Government Area.

    It was gathered on Thursday that the troops engaged suspected Boko Haram fighters during an ambush along the Visik River line.

    The encounter resulted in the death of Abdullahi Mafa, a former hybrid commander notorious for orchestrating attacks in the Madagali council area.

    A security analyst, Zagazola Makama, confirmed that later, around 6:30pm, troops carried out a raid at Madagali Motor Park, arresting 64-year-old Dauda Usman Gubula, a suspected Boko Haram collaborator and drone supplier.

    Authorities recovered two aerial drones and 20 solar power banks from the suspect.

    Officials stated that Gubula is currently in custody undergoing investigation, while military operations in the area continue to disrupt Boko Haram networks and restore stability to the region.

    (Sahara Reporters)

  • Abuja News
    Wike : Another PDP chairmanship candidate withdraws from FCT poll, backs APC

     

    Less than 48 hours before Saturday’s Federal Capital Territory Area Council elections, the Peoples Democratic Party (PFP) chairmanship candidate for the Abuja Municipal Area Council, Zadna Dantani, has pulled out of the contest and declared support for the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, Christopher  Maikalangu.

    The decision comes shortly after a similar development in Bwari Area Council, where the PDP candidate, Julius Adamu, on Wednesday stepped down in favour of APC’s Joshua  Musa.

    Dantani confirmed his withdrawal in a formal declaration, explaining that the move followed high-level interventions by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, whom he described as both the party leader and the FCT leader.

    Explaining the rationale behind the sudden alignment, Dantani stated, “My name is Hon. Zadna Dantani, the Chairmanship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the Abuja Municipal Area Council for Saturday’s Area Council elections. I want to sincerely appreciate everyone who supported us, and by the grace of God, we are doing it not because of our personal interests.”

    He said the minister’s advice centred on the idea of “brotherhood” in the local polls.

    “I am here to tell my people that as a candidate who is standing for this election, I have today agreed, based on the intervention of the Honourable Minister of FCT, Barrister Nyesom Wike, who is our leader in the party and the leader in FCT, who has called my attention to let us know that this is a brotherhood election. I am also doing this in support of the good works of the President, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” Dantani added.

    The former candidate said he had completed all necessary legal steps to formalise his exit from the race.

    “I have consulted widely, and by the grace of God, we have agreed that we are no longer going to contest against my brother, Hon Christopher Zakka Maikalangu. By doing so, I also submitted a letter of withdrawal to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) today,” he said, urging his supporters across the 12 wards of AMAC to vote for the APC candidate.

    In his letter to the electoral body, Dantani said the decision was entirely voluntary.
    The letter to INEC, signed by Hon. Zadna Dantani, read: “I write to respectfully inform you that I, Hon. Zadna Dantani of Gosa Village along Airport Road, FCT Abuja, a member and the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), have decided to voluntarily withdraw from contesting for the Chairmanship position of Abuja Municipal Area Council in the forthcoming Area Council Elections, which is scheduled to hold on 21st February, 2026, after due other consideration and thorough consultation with my family and relevant stakeholders.

    “I wish to state unequivocally that this decision to withdraw my candidature is borne out of my own free will volition.”

  • Crime News
    Ramadan : Kano Hisbah arrests 9 for eating in public during fasting hours

     

    Islamic police in Kano State have taken nine individuals into custody for allegedly eating in public during fasting hours on the opening day of Ramadan, underscoring the enforcement of Sharia regulations in the state despite Nigeria’s secular constitution.

    The Kano State Hisbah Corps said its operatives arrested the suspects on Wednesday after they were reportedly seen eating at midday, an act considered a direct breach of the Islamic fast observed from dawn until sunset.

    Kano, one of the most populous states in northern Nigeria, operates a dual legal structure in which Islamic Sharia law runs alongside the country’s conventional legal system.

    During the Ramadan period, Hisbah officials regularly patrol markets, restaurants and public areas to ensure that Muslims comply with fasting obligations.

    Although some eateries remain open in neighbourhoods largely populated by Christians and other non-Muslims, practising Muslims are prohibited from eating, drinking or engaging in any activity that invalidates the fast between sunrise and sunset. Fasting in Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam and is regarded as a core religious obligation.

    Deputy Commander Mujahid Aminudeen told reporters that those detained comprised seven men and two women.

    “We have arrested them and they are currently with us. We will teach them the importance of fasting, how to pray, how to read the Qur’an, and how to be good Muslims,” Aminudeen said.

    Authorities have not yet indicated when the detainees will regain their freedom, prompting renewed debate over the reach and limits of religious policing in northern Nigeria.

    (SAHARA REPORTERS)

  • Crime News
    Terrorists overrun military base, kill 8 soldiers

     

    A raid by Islamic State-affiliated jihadists on a military facility in Borno State has left eight Nigerian soldiers dead and 23 others wounded, three security sources told AFP on Wednesday.

    The sources said about 70 fighters from the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), riding on motorcycles, attacked a base in Cross Kauwa village, triggering a fierce exchange of gunfire.

    “Eight soldiers paid the supreme price, and 23 others sustained injuries,” a military officer said of the attack which struck on Monday.

    Two members of an anti-jihadist militia supporting the military said the terrorists mobilised from a camp on Dabar Masara island in Lake Chad and took a long detour before launching the assault, confirming the casualty figures.

    “The terrorists burnt down the base along with 11 gun trucks and took away the anti-aircraft guns mounted on them,” said one anti-jihadist militia source.

    All the sources requested anonymity because they were not authorised to speak on the incident.

    The base, located about 24 kilometres from the fishing town of Baga, has served as a major security buffer protecting the area from jihadist incursions.

    ISWAP and its rival, Boko Haram, have recently stepped up attacks on military formations across the northeast.

    According to the military, insurgents attacked two bases in Borno at the weekend, leaving soldiers and anti-jihadist militia dead or injured.

    Late on Saturday, ISWAP fighters stormed a base in Mandaragirau near the Sambisa forest stronghold, killing and wounding an unspecified number of troops and militia, the military said in a statement.

    In a separate incident, Boko Haram attacked another base in Pulka near the Cameroon border, destroying equipment and accommodation before reinforcements helped repel the assault, the statement added.

    The United Nations says jihadist violence has killed more than 40,000 people and displaced about two million others in the northeast since 2009.

    The conflict later spread into neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, leading to the formation of a regional military coalition to confront the insurgents.

    However, the coalition has weakened in recent years following Niger’s withdrawal after a diplomatic row with Nigeria in the aftermath of the country’s 2023 military coup.

    Meanwhile, the United States is deploying troops to Nigeria to provide technical and training support in the fight against the jihadist groups. The US Africa Command said 200 personnel are expected to take part in the deployment overall.